Sunday, July 31, 2005

Breakfast of Champions

Moving along with the tomatoes-are-too-perfect-by-themselves-to-mess-with theme, I put a few other nearly perfect foods together for a recent breakfast. This is one of my Noire Charbonneuse tomatoes sliced on a breakfast plate with some prosciutto, a bit of goat's milk cheese called nevat, some basil and a roll made from chiabatta dough. The prosciutto and cheese were salty enough that I didn't even have to add salt. A cup of tea was the only other thing needed.



It's a bit of an international meal as well: the tomato is French, the ham & bread are Italian, the cheese is Spanish and the tea was Chinese.

You can really see the dark color of the tomato when it's sliced open. This puts some people off but I can't think of a single person who, when coaxed into trying a taste, wasn't completely converted by the awesome flavor. One of the interesting thing about tomatoes is the enormous variety of colors and shapes they come in. It's amazing to me that Americans have been fixated on a single color and shape by commercial growers. We've given up soooo much to the convenience of having second- or third-rate things waiting for us at the grocery store. But fortunately, at least in my area, interesting and delicious home-grown tomatoes are really getting a foothold.

I hope your gardens are full of tomatoes and other delicious things!

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

A great looking lunch....lunch time here and now I'm so hungry and nothing this exciting in my cupboards for my lunch.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Rainey said...

Well, I certainly wouldn't be enjoying it in Winter either. ;> That's what makes it so exhilerating: waiting half the year for it to be possible!

What's seasonal in your hemisphere this time of year?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

End of winter root vegetables. I'm looking forward to spring and summer.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home